community

Orion as a cop on the mean streets of 1970s San Francisco. Hera as the lady of a country estate in Victorian England. Chronus as an Arizona Republican politician debating whether to align himself with the Tea Party. These are some of the dozens of creative reinterpretations of Greek mythology...

More
  • November 2, 2011

I suspect that, for many working in the arts, the weekday matinee is no man’s land. I’m not suggesting that we don’t operate them, or deal with them, but I do wonder the last time any of you have had occasion to attend one as a member of the audience....

More
  • October 21, 2011

Dear @Resident Theatre Company or @Individual Show: You know I love you and so I’m sorry to do this impersonally. But we have to talk. I know it’s hard to hear those words, because they always lead to the same thing. And to be perfectly honest, this time, it’s not...

More
  • September 21, 2011

Halcyon Theatre and Caffeine Theatre present Return to the Upright Position, a reading of an online text collaboration which conceived and edited by Caridad Svich. Written during the six months after 9/11/01 by Cusi Cram, Mitchell Gossett, Julie Hebert, Llysa Holland, Julie Jensen, Jennifer Maisel. Julia Pearlstein, Brad Rothbart, Gregory...

More
  • September 11, 2011

As the opening phrase of the following essay indicates, it was written on the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon; this explains why the title may seem out of sync appearing here now. Because this piece first appeared elsewhere, before I...

More
  • September 10, 2011

The non-profit model is living on borrowed time. The current model is dying. Even still, I think we spend more time trying to figure out how to fund a show than actually making the show. Read: The way we make money to make art is not sustainable. Insanity: Doing the...

More
  • August 24, 2011